Raw materials from controlled sources
100% of the wood we use comes from sustainable, certified and controlled sources
We believe in efficient value chains which are capable of stimulating investment and active forest management
We are committed to the concept of sustainable use of raw materials and actively respect this principle in all business practices. We believe in efficient value chains which are capable of stimulating investment and active forest management. We only purchase wood from sources that are sustainably managed and carefully controlled.
In this context, Sonae Arauco holds the chain of custody certification PEFC™ (Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) and FSC™ (Forest Stewardship Council™) (FSC® C104607), in this case covering all industrial operations, from the two main global forest certification systems, whose mission is to promote sustainable forest management.
The company's contribution to active management of the forest includes other aspects, such as the promotion of forest certification in all geographies where we have industrial activity, as well as its involvement in promoting FSC™ Portugal, as a member of the board, as well as in promoting FSC™ Germany and Forest Stewardship Council™ International, that Sonae Arauco joined in 2020.
Circular bioeconomy model
Sonae Arauco is probably one of the best examples of sustainable and circular bioeconomics. This is one of the pillars of the company's business model and, as such, takes place in all countries where Sonae Arauco has an industrial presence, that is, in Germany, South Africa, Spain and Portugal.
We Value Nature initiative from the WBCSD - World Business Council for Sustainable Development, an initiative that aims at demonstrating the importance of nature in the sustainability of the planet, leveraging its appreciation as the new normal for business in Europe.
In Portugal, Sonae Arauco's case is one of the examples highlighted on the ECO.NOMIA portal from the Portuguese Government's Ministry of the Environment, a space for sharing knowledge and good practices in the transition to a circular economy model.
Wood forms the foundation of our value chain, which starts with the use of raw materials of sustainable origin, incorporates by-products from the wood industry and which, in a circular approach, closes the cycle with the reuse and recycling of the waste, which is also used in the manufacture of wood-based panels, keeping this material circulating. This is a virtuous cycle, and recycled wood can be reintegrated into the process countless times.
The production of wood-based panels at Sonae Arauco thus incorporates several of the principles of circular bioeconomics, such as:
- Design of products that minimise waste+ Design of products that minimise waste With the design or redesign of products that takes into account a less intensive use of resources, giving priority to renewable and non-hazardous materials, as well as the integration of recovered raw materials;
- More efficient production models+ More efficient production models Reduction in the consumption of virgin raw materials, as well as production processes that minimise waste, such as Sonae Arauco's mouldable MDF, whose 3D embossments are made without machining, therefore generating less waste and improving productivity;
- Improvement of energy efficiency+ Improvement of energy efficiency Continuous investment in more efficient production processes and with less associated carbon emissions;
- Extension of the life cycle of materials+ Extension of the life cycle of materials Optimisation of take-back, reuse and remanufacturing or recycling networks;
- Promotion of by-products and waste+ Promotion of by-products and waste Production of new solutions using waste/by-products, focusing on upcycling (the process of converting waste into new materials or products with greater added value);
- Awareness and social engagement+ Awareness and social engagement Including environmental education initiatives on the importance of forests and wood recycling, amongst other initiatives.
Recycling: nothing is lost, everything is transformed
Wood recycling is one of Sonae Arauco's most strategic investments. We currently have an ambitious strategy underway to increase the incorporation of recycled wood up to 70% in some of our industrial units.
The recycling of wood, along with its importance for business competitiveness, is a significant ally for the challenge of climate change
Sonae Arauco played a pioneering role in creating of a wood waste recycling system in the Iberian Peninsula to promote the collection and reintegration of recycled materials into the production process, from pallets to packaging, furniture, doors, construction waste, and more. The system also takes advantage of and creates value for industry by-products, such as chestnuts, sawdust or wood chips.
Number of recycling points operated by ou subsidiaries Ecociclo, in Portugal, and Tecmasa, in Spain.
Located in Barcelona, Coimbra, Lisbon, Madrid, Porto, Seville and Valladolid.
Number of containers that we have for direct collection at our clients’ premises.
In Germany, recycled wood is purchased directly from waste wood management operators.
Percentage of recycled wood that nowadays is, in some cases, incorporated into the Particleboard (PB) industrial process.
This is the percentage of recycled wood that is envisioned to be incorporated into the PB industrial process.
Sonae Arauco created a pioneering wood recycling circuit. This process includes the reception of wood waste – from pallets to packaging, furniture, doors, construction waste, and more – from hundreds of entities from all sectors, supplemented by more than 600 containers for direct collection, which are distributed throughout the customers' facilities.
Wood and carbon neutrality
Every year, Sonae Arauco is responsible for retaining around 2.1 million tonnes of CO2 through the products it places on the market.
Forests and forest-based industries are an integral part of the response to the challenge of climate change. Taking only European forests into consideration, an overall positive effect of around -806 million tonnes of carbon* captured annually is estimated, corresponding to 20% of all emissions from fossil sources in the European Union.
In addition to being a natural raw material, wood has a remarkable capacity to store CO2, making it a great alternative to materials of fossil origin.
Each tonne of wood results in the capture of two tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. In contrast, producing the same number of other materials used in construction emits very high values of carbon dioxide, which is the main cause of climate change.
Sonae Arauco's areas of activity
acquisition of raw materials from controllable sources, enabling sustainability of the forest and its ability to mitigate CO2 emissions.
increase of incorporation of recycled wood into the product portfolio, avoiding landfill or burning.
investment in a set of state-of-the-art equipment aimed at reducing the carbon footprint associated to the production process along with strengthening business competitiveness.
investment in innovation and R&D to affirm the market for wood-based panels and their value for the construction, furniture and interior design sectors, as na alternative to polluting products.
* Source: EU Forest-Based Industries 2050. Calculation of the CO2 effect supporting the sector's vision of sustainable choices for a climate-friendly future. The overall climate effect is calculated as a sum of net sink (increased carbon storage) in forests and forest products (-447 Mt CO2e/yr.), fossil emissions caused in the forest sector value chain (+51 Mt CO2e/yr.) and prevented fossil emissions by substituting fossil-based materials and fossil energy (substitution) (-410 Mt CO2e/yr.).